Nasyam is meant for purification of the head region. The excess of bodily humors accumulated in the sinus, throat, nose or head is eliminated. Patient is asked to lie down on his/her back on a wooden cot placed in a room devoid of breeze. Head should be placed slightly down and legs higher. The body, especially head, neck and chest, should be rub-down with oil and fomentation is given. Nasyam is of three types:
- Virechana Nasyam: In this type of Nasyam strong medicines are used to expel out the doshas instantaneously from the head region.
- Brimhana Nasyam: This Nasyam treatment nourishes and strengthens the head region, senses and intellectual functions. It builds up the weaker parts and is indicated in vata diseases of the head like migraine, loss of voice, diseases of mouth, difficulty in opening eyes and difficulty in lifting hands. Ghee medicated with herbs are used as medicines.
- Samana Nasyam: This type of Nasyam subsidizes the increase of a dosha without expelling it out. It is moderate, neither too strong nor too mild. This is good mainly in conditions like skin discoloration, hair loss and eye diseases. Medicated water and milk can be used for this purpose. The amount of medicines can be either 4 or 6 drops of medicated oil depending upon the dosha involvement.
Benefits of Nasyam Treatment
- It ensures healthy and proper growth of hair
- It enhances the activity of sense organs and protects the person from diseases pertaining to head.
- It keeps the eyes, nose and ear healthy.
- It prevents the early graying of hair.
- It prevents early aging process.
- Cervical spondylosis